11.02.2013

Yabu: House of Katsu Part 2


Yabu Part II 

Two years have passed yet the katsu hype in me has never diminished. There were a number of attempts to dine here but if you pass by at exactly lunch or dinner time, you should be willing to wait for the next available seat. Unfortunately, the hubby isn't always willing to waste few minutes of his time so most likely than not, we just turn our backs and hope the next visit isn't as crowded. But today is a different story.

I was still paying for Daphne's wardrobe in preparation for a friend's wedding this month when I suggested that we dine at Yabu. Surprisingly, there was no hint of disagreement this time. It was probably quarter past two when we set foot at the waiting area. The courteous staff immediately asked which table do we prefer. For a better dining experience, I opted to be seated inside so at the same time I'd be able to check if there were changes on the fixtures. It was still the same pleasant vibe inside and I'm glad it wasn't as rowdy compared to other Japanese restos when a new customer comes in, if you know what I mean.

Daphne @ Yabu

After checking out the menu, I was served right away with two bowls of sesame seeds. This is one of the few unique things I've experienced during our first visit. To those who are not familiar, you have to pound these sesame seeds using the wood pestle. You then mix it with the special katsu sauce that is sweet and tangy. Two scoops usually work well with me as I don't really want my katsu slathered in too much sauce. My daughter was also handed with crayons and a coloring paper with Manga characters drawn on it. That kept her busy for a while and gave me ample time to enjoy pounding my sesame seeds. 

Yabu Part II 

It took nearly 15 minutes when our orders came. This time I tried their seafood katsu set - Cream Dory Katsu 120g for P335. It also came with a tartar sauce, Japanese pickles, bowl of miso soup and fruits, unlimited rice and cabbages! Isn't that a good deal? 

Yabu Part II 

My cream dory katsu was divine! It looked very crispy from the outside but has the usual soft, white fish meat. It wasn't soggy but the fillet is soft enough not to crumble into pieces using your chopsticks. I blended a small amount of wasabi in my tartar sauce and my katsu tasted extremely mouth watering! And since I'm eating fish, the biggest serving doesn't seem to be that sinful. The sticky rice I can manage to skip. While the unli cabbage with unli dressing was surely a hit! I got mine refilled. Ha ha! 

Yabu Part II 

Hubby got Rosu Special Katsudon for P330. To me, it looked like a thick sliced meat cut from tender pork loins. He loves pork above all other types of meat, but this time, he gave a good score on the cream dory. 

Yabu Part II 

As you can see, the left arm of a mother is never still when her child is beside her. And because I surely enjoyed what my husband claimed a tummy-filling second Yabu experience, a third visit is a must. I also hope by that time my daughter will explore more outside her favorite fast food meals. We had to buy a different food just so she can eat with us too. The kiddie chicken katsu set can be a good start. 

May we all have a sweet start of November! :-)

Yabu House of Katsu
2nd Level, Mega Atrium, SM Megamall,
EDSA corner Julia Vargas Ave., Mandaluyong City

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! xx